Q: Knocking when going over bumps

I have had struts replaced front and back and lower ball joints and bushings, but when I go over bumps I still have a knocking noise.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Most of the time...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Most of the time, the clunking or knocking sound when hitting a bump is caused by the stabilizer bar bushings. The stabilizer bar helps to "stabilize" the steering, but also helps to shift weight on the body. When the bushing wear out, they become loose, causing the stabilizer bar to clunk against the mount. This is what causes the clunking sound. There are other issues that may include wheel bearings that may be the source of your problem. One of our local mechanics can inspect your vehicle to determine the source of your problem and recommend corrective action.