Q: Car idles, surges, then lowers, and then dies

My car is idling and surges high, then it goes lower than normal, then completely dies. What is causing such as this?

A: Hello. It sounds like there may be a loose ...

Hello. It sounds like there may be a loose or disconnected vacuum hose. The upper or lower intake gasket could be leaking as well. There is also a possibility that the mass airflow (MAF) sensor, idle air control valve, or throttle position sensor is faulty. My suggestion is to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection to inspect why your car is stalling.