Q: Car idles, surges, then lowers, and then dies

My car is idling and surges high, then it goes lower than normal, then completely dies. What is causing such as this?

Hello. It sounds like there may be a loose or disconnected vacuum hose. The upper or lower intake gasket could be leaking as well. There is also a possibility that the mass airflow (MAF) sensor, idle air control valve, or throttle position sensor is faulty. My suggestion is to have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection to inspect why your car is stalling.

3. Car idles, surges, then lowers, and then dies