Q: Kia sportage wont start

asked by on July 28, 2017

I replaced the ac compressor in my 2006 kia sportage and now it will not start. I tested the starter and it's good . I tested the voltage and I get 12.6 coming out of relay and only 6v at one of the starter post and 12.6 at the other post. There was issues with the antitheft system wiring when a breathing device was previously but no longer installed . the car started before when I would cross the starter relay with a wire. Since replacing the a.c. it will not turn over and you just get a click from the solenoid

What you are describing sounds like a faulty starter solenoid. A faulty starter solenoid will generally produce a clicking sound when turning the key. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. In some cases if the starter solenoid is faulty it may cause the starter gear to remain out too long which can cause the starter gear to grind against the flywheel after the engine has started. This is noticeable by a very loud grinding sound. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.