Q: Key will not turn off engine in ignition 1997 Oldsmobile Achivea

asked by on August 29, 2016

My key in the ignition isn’t working normally. All of a sudden it won’t turn off. I can turn off the engine, but the gauges are still on. Should I unplug the battery somehow? I'm not sure what to do. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hello there. There are a few reasons your 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva is not turning off. The most common causes, would be a failed ignition switch, key cylinder, or a wiring fault. You may be able to remedy the issue by reinserting the key and cycling the key on and off a few times. If this works, then the problem is likely the ignition switch. If that does not work, then it may be the lights themselves, a wiring fault, or still the ignition switch. If the lights do not turn off by cycling the key, then you may need to disconnect the battery in order to turn it off in the meantime. To have this addressed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the key problem and have this issue corrected.