Q: Key turns freely

Key turned freely in ignition and still started for awhile then wouldn't turn forward enough to engage so popped out the ignition lock cylinder and use a ghetto key(screwdriver) now to engage and start the car and I have to get out pop the hood and pull a fuse to turn it off and disconnect the positive battery cable to keep from draining the battery, what is the least expensive course of action to repair this issue as I'm on a fixed income.

A: It's going to be challenging finding a ...

It's going to be challenging finding a mechanic that is going to tell you to continue macgyver-ing your ignition switch. Luckily, you sound very mechanically inclined. I would just replace that ignition switch.

I checked my favorite places and Rockauto was the best deal I could find. It costs $9.56 plus tax. As you probably already know, that is a very small amount of money in the realm of car repairs. I doubt you'll need them, but the description says there are instructions for installation as well.

If you end up needing assistance with the replacement of the ignition switch, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come help you out. I hope this helps. Good luck!