Q: Key entry damaged

My car was stolen, and the key entry on the door was pushed in and damaged. Also, the key goes into ignition but won't turn. There might be something inside of it.

Hi! I’m so sorry to hear that you had to go through that. It’s likely that the thief broke or bent pieces inside both the door lock, and ignition cylinder. In most cases, the damage will be irreversible because the thief likely forced various objects into the holes. There may be an object still left inside of the ignition; I suggest that a technician or a lock smith attempt to retrieve it. If it can be removed, you may not have to replace the ignition cylinder. If the key goes fully into the ignition, but the ignition will still not turn, then the cylinder likely has internal damage and will need replacement. Being that the vehicle cannot be started, you may benefit from having a mobile automotive repair company, such as YourMechanic, send a certified technician to your truck’s location for an inspection of your damaged ignition.