Q: Excessive vibration at idle 2002 VW Jetta

Very rough vibration at idle. Engine does not miss and but stays steady at 800 rpm - but engine vibration is shaking entire car. Runs well at speed, pulls strong - no misfires or bogging under load. Oil looks good. Fuel pressure is good at 35-38 psi at idle. Used multiple bottles of fuel system cleaner to date. Cleaned MAF. Recently replaced downstream O2 sensor, plugs, wires, coil pack. Replaced crank position sensor 6 months ago. Replaced all motor mounts 12 months ago. Not sure what to do next: check compression, replace injectors, replace fuel pressure regulator, replace MAF, check for vacuum leak (how)? I don't want to throw money at random parts.

Car starts right up, pulls strong. Getting ~24 mpg (which is lower than it should be).

Hi - I suspect your rough idling is an air leak (loose hose or crack in the air intake), or dirty idle air control valve. A leaking exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve would also cause rough idling. I recommend a rough engine idle inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Excessive vibration at idle 2002 VW Jetta