Q: Loss of power, weird sounds from the engine and hissing sound from throttle body, and a code P1346 1999 Lexus IS200

asked by on March 05, 2017

One day while i was driving oil pump failed. Then the car engine went off while i was at around 80mph, didn't know why it did that. Then i tried to switch it on again, it came on but with a sound of a piston in the engine as if there is no oil at all! i took it to a mechanical, open up the engine and said to do an engine overhaul. So we did the overhauling, we changed most parts except the pistons which the mechanic said they were fine. We put the engine back and start it up, and the engine is on. But another problem now occurred, the car became slow, no power at all, you can feel it. Now i took it to another mechanic and told me to clean up my exhaust and remove everything (said it is clogged). i went to another one for diagnosis it shows code p1346, also i hear a tapping sound but the mechanic told me its a camshaft worn out. throttle body making a weird hissing sound which was never there before! my car is Lexus is200 year 1999

Hello - the P1346 problem code you have indicates a camshaft timing problem (variable valve timing to be specific), and is at least part of the cause of low power. The cams are out of time, relative to the crankshaft. The hissing sound from the throttle body area is likely an air leak from a hose, or some other portion of the air intake. The tapping sound could be a variety of faults, worn/leaking hydraulic valve lifter, worn cam, piston slap, etc. I recommend a timing belt service to get the cams properly timed, performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.