Q: it's overheating and making a noise what could this be? 2005 Nissan Altima

The car started to over heat and make a noise like it was running higher and acts like it doesn't want to change gear but it eventually does.

A: Severe overheating will damage the engine s...

Severe overheating will damage the engine so be sure to resolve this issue if it is still overheating. Assuming the temperature gauge is not malfunctioning (not common) overheating is typically due to low coolant level (the reason it is low though has to be looked into because it could be a leak), a faulty engine thermostat, or a faulty water pump which could include a slipping belt.

There are non-cooling system related causes, such as incorrect engine timing, but that is not very common. In your case, you also mention the transmission being stuck in gear. It is possible if the car is stuck in a low gear (that is you have a transmission problem) and the added load on the engine could cause it to run hotter.

At any rate, when the car is completely COLD, check both the radiator coolant level AND the level in the plastic coolant reserve tank. If low, add the correct coolant and try driving the car. You will have to monitor the coolant level (look at the level in the reserve tank. No need to re-open radiator cap) in the coming weeks to see if it remains stable. If the level drops, you have a leak. If it still overheating with correct coolant level, you need to consider the thermostat and water pump as causes. For help with this, have a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the overheating issue to pinpoint the problem.