Hello i have a BMW 428i x drive and today my car sent a c...

Hello i have a BMW 428i x drive and today my car sent a charging malfunction message. I went to work and came out and started my car and it cut off on me and now it won’t start. I don’t know what the problem is should i get a new ...

Hello i have a BMW 428i x drive and today my car sent a charging malfunction message. I went to work and came out and started my car and it cut off on me and now it won’t start. I don’t know what the problem is should i get a new battery or something? Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded? I could not access the battery because the car wouldn’t open Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 428i? 2014 Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 428i yourself? What have you tried so far? I didn’t try anything to fix it being that i couldn’t get inside the trunk. I can’t even lock the doors Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? Just what i have to do to get the car to move again

Automotive Expert
Hello and welcome.

Hello
Automotive Expert
you can try a jump start to see if you can get it going but a charging system malfunction is usually a failed alternator (or the belt having come off). If the alternator is not working, you might get the car started but you wont be able to drive it anywhere (it will keep dying) until the alternator is replaced.

Okay and how much does it usually cost to fix a alternator?
Automotive Expert
$500-$800

Okay but the car won't let me unlock my trunk or lock my doors
Automotive Expert
if the battery is dead you can't

how will i open the trunk? If i get the alternator fix will the car work so i can charge the battery or replace it?
Automotive Expert
you can apply jump power under the hood the power up the car and open the trunk.... or charge the battery from under the hood.

My battery is in my trunk not under my hood
Automotive Expert
I know that there are jump posts under the hood that are wired to the battery directly. so you apply jump power under the hood and power up the car to open the trunk, as I said

how can i charge the battery from under the hood?
Automotive Expert
by hooking up a charger to the jump posts

Okay and where are these jump posts? I know it's under the hood but where under the hood?
Automotive Expert
pasenger side, there is a picture of them in the owners manual [https://app.box.com/s/tn8mio6cr11gr1ryjtc1j51yjpqyuyf5](https://app.box.com/s/tn8mio6cr11gr1ryjtc1j51yjpqyuyf5)

Okay thank you so much you was a really big help
Automotive Expert
you are welcome please do not forget to click a positive rating and please consider a tip/bonus if satisfied with my assistance.