Q: Is there a known fix for the mazdaspeed3 pcv problem?

asked by on August 06, 2017

I'm trying to see if Mazda or anyone has made a fix for the pcv system in the mazdaspeed motors. The fix is to create vacuum instead of pressure in the crank case so the oil from the turbo can drain instead of burn.

For vehicles produced prior to 2008, Mazda published a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) referring to a redesign to resolve the excess pressure issue. As far as the 2012 model though, I do not see a comparable published TSB dealing with any service campaign or technical fixes for excess pressure. On a related issue, aftermarket oil catch can systems are vended for the Turbo version to intercept oil vapors that would otherwise be drawn into the intake and burned. Oil catch cans are recommended, and I have used them, but my experience is they require a lot of maintenance (they are effective and so they catch a lot of blow by contaminants but need to be emptied very often). If you would like to investigate the possibility of adapting an oil catch can in your application and obtain an evaluation of whether you have pressures beyond factory spec, please use YourMechanic’s service request link. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you get the best possible results.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr