Q: Is it safe to drive with a misfiring cylinder?

My check engine light came on today, and the code stated that cylinder one was misfiring. However, I have not noticed any loss in power, decrease in fuel economy, or anything else that would indicate a misfiring cylinder, other than the indicator light itself. I haven't noticed any other issues, but I was planning on driving pretty far this weekend on a road trip with my Jeep. Am I safe to drive or should I get it checked out by a mechanic first?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your Jeep Wrangler. I would recommend getting it checked before going away on your trip. The misfire code may be a problem with the variable valve system or the ignition system. With this code a misfire may damage a catalyst.

If you'd like to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home and diagnose the trouble code firsthand and suggest what to do from there.