Q: Is it possible to put a newer Dakota engine into a 1987 Dodge Dakota?

asked by on March 01, 2017

Hello there! I just recently traded my GMC for another lad's Dodge Dakota for a few reasons. The millage however was not one of them, sitting roughly around 194,000 to 195,000 miles I'm thinking about swapping the power train system out of my old truck into a newer V6 (V8 if possible but not trying to aim to high) if I found one. But before I make any decisions right off the bat I was curious if it was possible, or if I should just rebuild my current engine. A few of my friends have told me to just sell it or trade it for a newer 4x4 truck with less miles but they fail to understand the sentimental view I have for this exact truck. I just want to try and extend the life of it.

Depending on the year of the vehicle will depend on how much equipment that will need to be adapted to your vehicle. It is possible to take an OBD 1 or OBD 2 system engine and install it into your vehicle, but you will have to transfer all of the wiring harnesses and the computer systems along with the fuel systems and exhaust systems. For a vehicle that is a few years newer, there is not much to swap over, but with a newer engine, you will have to configure new engine mounts for the vehicle as the old system is engineered differently. If you need further assistance with your engine swap, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.