Q: Is a transistor and a blower motor resistor the same thing?

asked by on November 15, 2016

I recently went to a couple mechanics because my AC was not working on modes 1-3 but worked on 4. I also had a high squeaking sound and a burning smell. I was told I need to replace two parts. The blower motor resistor and the transistor. I replaced the blower motor resistor but not the transistor. What is the difference? Can it harm my car by not replacing the transistor?

When you were told to replace the resistor or the transistor the person that told you did not know if you had manual or automatic a/c. Your car will have a blower resistor for manual a/c blower controls and a transistor if you had automatic a/c controls. Your blower control is manual and therefore you have a blower resistor. The car will only have one or the other and will serve the same purpose depending on the type of blower control you have. The squeaking and burning smell may be from the blower motor. I would recommend replacing the blower motor with resistor(https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/heater-blower-motor-resistor-replacement) This should fix your problem and do not have to replace blower transistor since your car does not have one.