Q: Back brake light/ tail lights not working properly

I have a 1997 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. My back brake lights were coming on when I pressed on the brake pedal as they should ( but) they but about time I would come to a complete stop they would go out, it's like they would only come on by tapping them but pressing they would go out. I changed the switch out a couple of months ago and I thought it was working perfectly and then on my way to work one morning someone told me I had no brake lights. I thought I would go to the Chevrolet dealer to buy a acdelco switch. I thought it would make a difference but it's the same 馃檮馃檮 it just stays on a little longer but once I come to complete stop it goes out also. The switch is not loose and the clamp is on tight. I am lost ! It does seem like my brake are very soft. I have changed my master cylinder and brake booster out prior to this. My brakes are soft and I have been reading that is a problem with this year truck. Can someone help me please??

A: Hello. The brake lights are controlled by ...

Hello. The brake lights are controlled by stoplight switch, contacted by the pedal. If they are cutting off after coming to a complete stop then that may be a sign that there is an issue with the switch, circuit, or the pedal. If the switch was recently replaced, then I would check the wiring and connector to both the switch, and the brake lights. A continuity and resistance test would determine if there is an issue between the switch and bulbs. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine the exact cause of the stop light malfunctions.

Our certified mechanics come to you 銉籅acked by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee銉籉air and transparent pricing