Q: Intermittently, gas pedal sticks and car keeps accelerating

The gas pedal in my car sticks at various times. Three years ago is the first time it happened. It was a dry day and I was going about 60 mph while entering onto the interstate. I removed my foot from the accelerator and my car kept independently accelerating. I finally managed to get the car stopped. Since then the problem has happened intermittently. I have been to the dealership and the tech told me that the floor mats are the problem. But I readjusted the mats and the problem persists. Before I return to the dealership, can you tell me what is causing my car to independently accelerate like this?

A: This can be caused by a variety of things. ...

This can be caused by a variety of things. I would agree with the dealer that floor mats can often times interfere with the pedals in a car. The other thing I would be sure to check is the cruise control function. Many people tend to use this and forget that it is on. Outside of this, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to independently test the throttle position sensor functions for further issues. If you would like this done, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the gas pedal issue.