Q: Intermittently, gas pedal sticks and car keeps accelerating

asked by on August 15, 2016

The gas pedal in my car sticks at various times. Three years ago is the first time it happened. It was a dry day and I was going about 60 mph while entering onto the interstate. I removed my foot from the accelerator and my car kept independently accelerating. I finally managed to get the car stopped. Since then the problem has happened intermittently. I have been to the dealership and the tech told me that the floor mats are the problem. But I readjusted the mats and the problem persists. Before I return to the dealership, can you tell me what is causing my car to independently accelerate like this?

Throttle Position Sensor Replacement $129.21 - $646.10 Get a Quote
Gas pedal is stuck Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This can be caused by a variety of things. I would agree with the dealer that floor mats can often times interfere with the pedals in a car. The other thing I would be sure to check is the cruise control function. Many people tend to use this and forget that it is on. Outside of this, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to independently test the throttle position sensor functions for further issues. If you would like this done, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the gas pedal issue.