Q: Intermittent whistling sound coming from front of car

I've noticed an intermittent whistling or squealing noise coming from the front of my car. It's not apparent when I first start the car and is most noticeable when I'm in gear but stopped, like at a red light. (Although this could just be that I'm not moving and thus it's more apparent to me) it's also not a constant noise and there's no discernible pattern. The overall performance of the vehicle has not been affected - when I start it, accelerate, brake etc.- there's no difference that I've felt. Everything else functions just fine and none of my alarm lights on the dash are on so I'm not sure what it might be. I'm thinking it's some type of belt but I haven't had the chance to take it in yet. Thanks!

Hi there:

The sound you’re describing is very similar to a serpentine or drive belt that is beginning to show signs of being loose or damaged. As the belt progressively gets looser, this noise will become more noticeable until it’s constant. The best thing you can do is have a professional mechanic complete a car is making a noise inspection to be sure that the belt is the source or have them replace the belt that’s causing the noise.

3. Intermittent whistling sound coming from front of car