Q: Car using a lot of oil - 2013 Volkswagen Touareg

My Touareg is using up a lot of oil, and there are no leaks in it. I went to the dealership twice and they said it's normal for the car to use up allot of oil. I am hoping you might know what is wrong. This doesn't seem like it should be happening unless something is wrong.

A: Some manufacturers absolutely design their ...

Some manufacturers absolutely design their vehicles to consume oil as a normal engine function. Volkswagen has a tendency to do this. If not by design, there are several things to take a look at. Bad gaskets will allow the oil to leak onto the engine or into the combustion chamber which would burn the oil and you would never see a leak. Even factors such as driving styles can affect oil consumption. The higher the RPM'S the more oil will be consumed. If the oil type and viscosity is wrong, this can also lead to extra oil consumption. If the problem worsens or you notice a change in engine performance, consider having a technician inspect the oil consumption in order to have this corrected.