Q: New alternator and battery. Volt gauge is reading less than 12 volts.

asked by on October 07, 2016

I got a new alternator and battery but on the volt gauge its a little less than 12 volt while running

Hello there, a few common failures can prevent your 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit from charging even after the battery and alternator have been replaced. The most common would be the battery cable, a faulty voltage regulator, a bad alternator fuse, or a wiring harness fault. If you need to have the problem scoped out further, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the charging system to that this can be resolved accordingly.