Q: I'm having trouble Installing new driver side (left) CV axle

asked by on December 27, 2016

I have the CV axle pretty much fully installed except that the shaft of the new axle doesn't quite make it all the way through the hub; by about a mere 1/8" or so. You can also tell it's not quite in by looking at the back of it. I've tried really cranking on it tightening the nut, prying on the nut with a crowbar, driving my car 100ft to see if it would loosen up, and putting the old cv axle back in to make sure that it lined up and it was perfect. Could it just be a slightly defective axle?

It’s possible that there is some rust or dirt built up in the splines that is preventing the joint from sliding all the way home. If you can purchase a wire brush about the size of a toothbrush, you can get in there and clean it out. Be sparing with the solvents however, because they can work their way into the wheel bearing from there and then you’ll be doing this whole thing again shortly. If you are sure the spline is clean, you need to look hard at the new part.There are a lot of companies remanufacturing axles, and some of them are not doing the best job of it. Sometimes, they clean the old parts by bead blasting and that raises the corners on the splines making them just a little bit larger. If you are sure that is what the problem is, that can sometimes be cleaned up with a small triangular file. It’s sometimes a whole lot easier to pay the higher price of a good quality part. If you decide you need help with this, contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to replace your axle there on the spot for you