Q: Installing shims in the enclosed steering hub.

I'm in Philippines . i have a owner jeep . it's rear drive only , two bolts were loose out of 6 that hold the spindle and bearings to the axle hub, found the threads in the hub knuckle were stripped out , so had machine shop tap the two holes to make them next size bigger and replace two bolts with new one's that were right size for the new threads in hub , my question is how to put right size shims in lower housing of hub . i found an answer , but said around 1963 , they used a .058 shim pack { 1.47 mm } on bottom hub housing where bottom cap and bearings would be , then said after 1963 , didn't use shim on bottom cap of knuckle , these owner jeeps were assembled from different surplus parts to make complete vehicle , don't know year front enclosed steering hub axle is from . maybe been 4 wheel drive army jeep axle at one time, but made into rear drive only,no front wheel drive now ,what should i do ? just forget bottom shim and adjust at the top with shims ?

Hi there. Check to see if the front axle on the jeep has a differential on the tube. If there is a differential on the tube, then the axle on the jeep is either a pre-model or a 1963 model. What you would want to do is put the shims on the top and check the play and clearance on the steering knuckle. If you have room for more shims, then the knuckle requires top and bottom shims. If the knuckle is tight after putting on the top shims, then it only needs the top shims. If you need further assistance with the clearance on the front knuckles on your jeep, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Installing shims in the enclosed steering hub.