Q: Indicator Lights Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Indicator Light stays on

asked by on November 09, 2016

My Indicator Lights Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Indicator Light has came on and will NOT go off. What could it be?

This is related to the traction control system in your car. This system monitors the steering stability of the vehicle and engages when loss of traction has been detected. This system counteracts over steering and under steering by reducing power and/or applying brakes to specific wheels. This is done by the use of electronic sensors that communicate with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) regarding steering performance and stability in adverse weather conditions.

There are several components that are necessary for your traction control system to work properly. When the brakes lock up, this may cause a loss of control and the vehicle may slide. The anti-lock brake system prevents this from happening by preventing the brakes from locking up. The traction control system works by reducing engine speed and determining which wheel to apply brake pressure to in order to prevent the vehicle from sliding.

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) receives information from electronic sensors regarding the rotational speed of each wheel, the horizontal motion of the vehicle, and the vertical motion of the vehicle. When this warning indicator light comes on in the dashboard, this could be an indication of several issues such as faulty wheel speed sensors, a faulty steering angle sensor, a faulty rotational speed sensor or a problem with the steering rack. In some cases, the traction control system may simply need to be reprogrammed.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your traction control system firsthand.