Q: driver side power lock doesnt work.

asked by on March 05, 2017

driver side power lock doesnt work. the switch works for all remaining doors and windows but not the driver side. i replaced the switch box, but still doesnt work. also when i unlock it with the key and open my driver door it makes the alarm go off, which then drains my battery. i can unlock the car from the passenger side with the key and it wont make my alarm go off, only with the driver side. i have checked the fuse and replaced it but nothing happened. i was told it could possible be the actuator or even the solenoid in the door itself that is out but not sure 100%.

Thank you for writing in. There are several reasons you may be having these issues with the locks. However, without knowing what model of Chevy you are driving it is difficult to know what exact components you are working with. The best way to figure out what the issue is with electrical testing. You will want to start with the switch and see if the power is making it passed the switch when activated to actually power the door lock actuator. If the power is reaching the actuator and it is not using the power, you can assume there is an issue with the unit. This kind of testing can be done with a test light or voltmeter. The alarm issue is typically a wiring issue, and may be completely unrelated. Only further testing and inspection will tell. For more help accessing and testing the locking circuit, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.