Q: 2006 BMW oil filter gasket keeps breaking and oil leaks from oil filter. Oil leaks only after starting car in morning. PCV valve?

My car has an issue each morning. The oil filter is on top so I can see it. Now when I start it up in the morning, the car starts fine but oil comes out of the oil filter. It seeps down the sides. All around. Now we tried to change the gasket to the filter cover, and it worked for a week. And then the problem started again. It's like the pressure is too high and it's breaking the gasket. There is a loud ticker noise from the lifters as well. I have a suspicion​ that the PCV or CCV breather valve is bad. I have to refill the car with a quart of oil each week.

Hi There, It sounds like you may need to replace the oil cap o-ring. If you haven’t done this before there are two O-rings to replace; a small green one on the base of the filter cap stem and the large black one that seals the filter cap (which seems to be the one you are having issues with). The large O-ring sits in a small square-shaped groove that is at the base of the oil filter cap. It is very easy to not properly seat the large O-ring because the threads for the oil cap are quite large and will accept the O-ring if you are not careful. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.

3. 2006 BMW oil filter gasket keeps breaking and oil leaks from oil filter. Oil leaks only after starting car in morning. PCV valve?