Hi, I just recently noticed that one of my indicator lights, that looks like an exclamation point, starts blinking when I reach certain speeds or when I'm driving for somewhat of a long distance. When the light starts blinking the car also seems to shift gears a little roughly. If I decide to come to a complete stop, turn off the ignition, turn the car back on, the light stops and it shifts gears normal until I drive it for awhile or reach up to certain speeds again. Please help me find out what this problem is. Thanks in advance, Rick W

A: The exclamation point with a gear around in...

The exclamation point with a gear around indicates a transmission fault, which requires a professional scan tool to read and evaluate the codes.

The fact that it resets every time makes me believe it is an electrical fault, but without knowing the exact codes stored in the computer, it is hard to say.

You need to have the codes scanned with a high-end scan tool and proper diagnosis can take place from there. In the mean time you can verify your fluid level is correct and appears pink in color via the dipstick located in the driver side rear portion of your engine compartment with a yellow handle. Check the fluid with the engine warm and idling in park. The fluid should be in the cross-hatched area after wiping off and reinserting the dipstick. If you need assistance with this, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect your car's transmission issue.