Q: If the AWD stays on what service is needed.

The AWD light goes on and stays on- after I stop it goes off-- but then while I'm driving later or another day it goes on again. I went to the dealership the service manager and one of the mechanics told me they didn't know what the problem is and I should come back when the light is on. No help!!!! What do I do? It is a 2013 CRV. Is repair covered by warranty?

It sounds as if the light was not on when you brought it to the dealer. If this is the case, and there isn’t a code in the AWD module, then there is nothing anyone can do with a car that isn’t displaying any symptoms. This is what is known as an intermittent failure. Such intermittent failures are the hardest and most frustrating for owners and mechanics alike.

With that said, I wonder if the dealer connected a scanner to see if there are any pending or past codes. Even if they did, there still may not be any information stored.

The repair could be covered by warranty, but at this time, no one knows what the repair needs to be. As I said before, intermittent failures are very frustrating. At times I have had to keep a car for several days with frequent test drives to replicate a problem. The best you can do is to pay close attention to the the details that are occurring when the light turns on. Details such as outside temperature, is it raining, is the car cold or fully warm, how far have you been driving before the light turns on, when does it turn off, are you driving in low traction conditions? Any of these details and more can make the difference in a successful diagnosis.

As for whether or not it is under warranty, this will be determined by mileage, age and the details in the warranty contract. If you aren’t satisfied with the service you received from the first dealer, I certainly suggest giving another one a try. Although, if this is an intermittent failure, I think you should continue to work with your current dealer. It will take some creative problems solving as intermittent failures always do.

Good luck!

3. If the AWD stays on what service is needed.