Q: Idle Problem & Exhaust sputtering noises

asked by on February 16, 2017

I had a tune up done I my truck about 3 years back. So far I have put about 30K miles on my truck since the tune up. I've maintained the truck, taken really good care of it since I bought it & have put in a lot of money into it trying to keep it running. Basically, the spark plugs have about maybe half of their life used up because I bought the iridium laser spark plugs w/ import direct wires from orielly. Top of the line stuff that is the most expensive! Nothing cheap has gone into my truck at all, what could be this issue? I can be anywhere & have my truck inDrive or park & as long as it's on, it shakes & you can see the RPM's go as low as 400 maybe less & sputters at the end of the exhaust. But it idles rough but has no problem picking up speed or cruising. Only idle is the main problem.

Engine is misfiring Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

With the information that you have provided, I would surmise that you are describing the signs of an engine misfire. Pulling the diagnostic codes with a code reader will probably show codes that relate to a misfire, and could help diagnose exactly what the cause is. There are several possible causes for the engine to misfire. A faulty spark plug, plug wire, ignition coil, or a clogged or misfiring injector can all cause a misfire that will go away with higher rpm’s, or at least appear to. If you feel you could use a hand in locating and/or repairing the issue, I would suggest contacting a certified mechanic, like those available at YourMechanic.com.