Q: I went to buy a 2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort from a dealer and he couldn't get the gear shift out of park is this a serious prob

Went to purchase a Volkswagen Pass at Komfort from the dealer and he couldn't get the gear shift out of park is this a serious problem

There is a safety interlock that prevents inadvertent engagement of the transmission. Typically, you have to have your foot on the brake to free up the shifter. The interlock could have a fault and, if so, the failure is probably electrical in nature although until it is diagnosed nothing can be said definitively. The only other reason the shifter would be stuck is if there is a fault in the transmission shift mechanism. There is a shift lock override button to enable you to shift out of part if the interlock has failed. If you activate the override, you can temporarily drive the car that way. Once you put it in park, of course, the next time that you want to shift into reverse or drive you have to activate the shift lock override button. If you request a failure to shift diagnostic a certified mechanic can inspect the vehicle and identify the exact cause and then you will have an idea of the cost to repair, too.

Alternatively, you could request a total vehicle inspection, not just limited to the shift issue. The reality is that used car repair, maintenance, and restoration costs are highly dependent on the actual, as found, condition of the vehicle and so the only way to get a reasonably precise estimate of costs you might face, and also to protect yourself in the transaction, is to request a pre-purchase vehicle inspection. That inspection, carried out by a certified Mechanic, dispatched to your location, will give you the exact data that you need to make a fully informed, intelligent decision and minimize your risk in buying a used car. If you look at the just cited link for YourMechanic’s inspection service, you will see a long list of the vehicle systems that must be inspected as well as details of YourMechanic’s inspection methodology. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• I went to buy a 2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort from a dealer and he couldn't get the gear shift out of park is this a serious prob