Q: I was told I need new ball joints when I got new tires but once the tires were put on the symptoms stopped why is that?

I went to get two new front tires from pep boys I explained that my car had been pulling to the right recently and I asked if they could tell me why .....before they put the new tires on they told me it was a lower right ball joint and after they put the new tires on the car stopped pulling to the right should I still replace the ball joint?

What you are describing sounds like a bad or worn out ball joint. A ball joint is designed to pivot through multiple planes. Of course, because the ball joint constantly pivots at different angles, it tends to wear out more rapidly than bushings. A load-bearing ball joint supports the weight of the vehicle, while providing a hinge point for the steering system. Load-bearing ball joints are designed to cancel the effects of normal wear by centering themselves in their sockets. Non-load-bearing ball joints, on the other hand, maintain precise dimensional tolerances in a steering or suspension system. Wear in a non-load-bearing ball joint will cause a noticeable change in the camber, caster or toe angle of a front suspension. Consequently, non-load-bearing joints are preloaded to compensate for wear. Common symptoms of worn out ball joints are clunking noises, excessive vibration, steering wander and squeaking. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace the ball joints on your vehicle.

3. I was told I need new ball joints when I got new tires but once the tires were put on the symptoms stopped why is that?