Q: I was driving my passat when the car turned off. There was no power steering and my brakes were stiff.

When I checked the oil, there was none in it, so I think it had been leaking.

A: Hello. Thanks for writing in. The brakes an...

Hello. Thanks for writing in. The brakes and the power steering both depend on a functioning engine for assistance. Without engine power, these and many other systems fail to work. The brakes will work, they just will not be assisted by the vacuum supplied by the engine. It is the same concept for the power steering. Without oil, there is a large chance the vehicle experienced a mechanical failure. The engine depends on oil for lubrication and pressure related functions. Typically the oil pressure light would illuminate before it got to this point. If you had no indication that the oil pressure was low, you may need to figure out why this warning system failed as well. The extent of the repairs will depend on the amount of damage that was done to the engine. Further inspection is needed.