Q: I turn the key and I hear the starter spinning but it does not crank the engine. Is it the starter or part of it?

asked by on May 07, 2017

I went to start my Rav 4, it stated but i heard a funny noise when it started like gears rubbing together it lasted for a second and then the car started. I popped the hood and asked my wife to start it again, same noise we did it a couple more times and the nothing it didn't start. Now when I turn the key all I hear is spinning coming from in or around the starter. I do not hear it engage with the fly wheel no cranking. Lights are working on the car and other electrical.

Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1043.36 Get a Quote

If the starter motor turns, but the starter pinion drive gear is not engaging the flywheel and turning the engine, there is a fault with the pinion drive gear and/or the actuating solenoid. The power to the solenoid can be checked but if the starter solenoid itself has a fault typically the starter motor is just replaced. To have this conclusively diagnosed and have the starter replaced, if required, please request starter diagnostic/replacement and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you promptly. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.