Q: I tried to back up out of a parking but it didn't move.

After work I tried to get out the parking space by backing up but no matter how much I press on the gas the car does not move. But right before that a light came on. It was circle with spike or bars around it with an explaintion Mark inside it. I believe it's my transmission light. But when I press on the gas to go forward it takes a little to come in and then as I drive it it sounds weird. I do not know what wrong with it.

A: Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic....

Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic. It sounds like the transmission low and reverse clutch has failed. This will prevent the vehicle from going into reverse and cause a stumble into drive until the second gear has been engaged. As this occurs there will be a noise during driving conditions. The light that came on your dash is, as you suspected, for the transmission - the computer has sensed the output shaft was not moving, with pressure in the transmission being high in reverse gear and the brake pedal released. The code is a fail safe code saying there is an issue with the transmission. When that light comes on, the computer will cut out all power to the transmission putting it into limp mode making only 3rd gear available along with 1st and reverse. These gears are mechanical only and do not need electronics to operate them. I recommend checking the pressures to the transmission with the transmission in reverse. If the pressures are normal, I recommend replacing or rebuilding the transmission. If you’d like assistance with this issue, a certified YourMechanic technician can be dispatched to your location to help you inspect your faulty clutch mechanism, diagnose the issue and suggest any repairs.