Q: I took my car in for a full service today. They did the service and my car suddenly cannot be driven. What could the issue be?

I had a diagnostic ran and the biggest code that came back that could cause a problem was from camshaft position sensor in block 1&2. After the full service they cleared the codes so the check engine light would turn off, when I drove off I couldn't accelerate and went back. The shop owner seemed to have expected me back then said that I had to pay $500 to have it fixed. This was odd to me because this was never an issue, I have driven the car 14,000 miles and as soon as they hooked their system up to it, it became a problem? He was telling me it was always an issue which clearly it wasn't and I think he is trying scam me. I am just curious to how this suddenly became an issue and I talked to one of his mechanics about it separate from the owner and he said "what do you expect? He charged you really cheap for the full service." I am wondering how this could've been cause, how to get it fixed, and if I have any legal rights.

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement $104.59 - $809.88 Get a Quote

Hi there. If the code came on for the camshaft position sensor, then the computer has seen that the sensor is not working properly. If the vehicle was working before and now has the code for the camshaft position sensor, then either the sensor is malfunctioning or the local shop accidentally disturbed the sensor wiring when servicing the power plant. Look at the camshaft position sensor and around the area for any damage or if the plug is not connected properly. If the sensor is plugged in properly and does not look like it has been disturbed, then it is possible that the sensor has failed. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your vehicle about a camshaft position sensor possible failure and to discuss with you about what you can do when a shop does not give you the full detail about your vehicle’s condition.