Q: Honda Civic Si grinds going into second gear.

I think my second gear is grinding Honda Civic Si - what is the problem?

A: The second gear synchronizer is usually the...

The second gear synchronizer is usually the first one to fail in a manual transmission. The synchronizers are devices in the transmission that match the speed of the gears before allowing them to mesh. It’s that downshift to second gear while going around the corners that seems to wear it out. Once the synchronizer is worn out, the transmission will grind when you try to engage that gear. It could also be a clutch issue, but if it were, you would probably have noticed a problem with the other gears as well. The only thing that can be done for a bad synchronizer is a transmission rebuild or replacement. But before you go shopping for price on these jobs, contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to check out your car and tell you if this is really what you need to do.