Q: I think I may need new engine mounts. Would that cost a lot and are the parts good quality? Also, I d

Struts: the car wobbles when I brake and it rattles when I drive at slow speeds. Motor mounts: A friend said to get it checked because when I accelerate, there's a lot of rise with the engine.

Hello. I will be happy to help you with your concerns about the mechanical condition of your 1999 Solara. Let me first answer what is by far the easiest component of your inquiry and that relates to "will the parts be good quality". If you own a Toyota (obviously you do) and you want good quality parts, buy your replacement parts from Toyota. Mechanics have already done the experiment for you these past several decades (i.e., evaluating aftermarket versus Toyota OEM parts). Of note, it has become possible to buy genuine OEM Toyota parts on the Internet but even better now if you print out the Internet pricing (for the parts you need), published by real Toyota dealers, and you bring that print out to your local brick and mortar Toyota dealer, there is a strong possibility they will help you out. Inasmuch as it is better to deal with people in person, and also help your local economy, try that first (or have your Mechanic do it for you) before you buy on the Internet. Ironically, in some circumstances the cost to buy a given genuine Toyota part, once discounted 20%, which is the typical Internet discount at these Toyota dealers, is LESS than the cost of the poorly designed AND poorly manufactured "aftermarket" knock off that is made in China. That (ironic outcome) has happened to me countless times. So, not only do you get a better part, indeed the best part, it costs you less. That concludes the EASY PART of your question.

It sounds like you have some rattles, wobbles, and perhaps worse. That’s not unusual in a 17 year old car. Motor mounts are fairly easy to diagnose based on amount of motion, external condition, and age. Indeed, beyond a certain age, no physical exam is necessary as rubber based products subjected to mechanical stress can only last so long. The wobbling when braking issue could be anything from loose suspension parts to warped or unevenly worn rotors. Your best bet is to have the car evaluated or inspected to see which issues are of most immediate need of repair to ensure a safe comfortable ride. You could probably solve a lot of the issues you are describing with a few priority repairs. YourMechanic specializes in this kind of personalized advice so you might want to first get a diagnostic of your braking system and start with the most critical repair(s) which could be the mounts (if beyond usable service) and the front end issues you are describing. Don’t hesitate to inquire for further assistance and best wishes to you.

• I think I may need new engine mounts. Would that cost a lot and are the parts good quality? Also, I d