Q: I think I accidentally put diesel fuel in my 2015 Nissan Altima.

I was in a hurry to work and had to stop for gas. I stopped at a BP and noticed there was only one gas option, so I chose it anyways. I filled up aboh $8 before the gas wouldn't come out anymore, and the tank wasn't full. On the way to work the car was sputtering and acting a little funny. When I went leave work my car wouldn't start. It had a battery symbol and another hazard symbol on the dash. I know my battery wasn't dead because the radio, air, and lights were coming on. I was wondering if it is even possible to put diesel in a Nissan, as I've been told before that the diesel nozzle is too big and won't fit. Also, if I did put diesel what do I do and will it mess up my car? Thank you.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

A: Hi there. Yes, it is possible to put diesel...

Hi there. Yes, it is possible to put diesel into any vehicle as not all nozzles are differentiated. If this has happened, it’s not all bad, but not all good. The bad news is that all the fuel will need to be removed from the fuel tank, lines emptied, injectors cleaned, spark plugs replaced, and an oil change service. These are all of the steps I have performed when this has happened to my customers in the past to ensure no future problems. The diesel fuel is a lot like oil and will coat every surface it touches. The good news is that diesel shouldn’t damage any major components; at least I have yet to see this in my 21 years. YourMechanic has several available technicians to assist you with a no start inspection and provide a through estimate and direction of repair.