Q: I sometimes hear a rattling noise when shifting into second gear. 2013 Toyota Corolla

Whenever I shift from first gear up to second gear I hear a metallic rattling noise but I don't hear it shifting down to second gear.

Hi there - the rattling noise you hear is probably a loose heat shield or other metal bracket attached to the engine. The combination of vibration and engine torque produced while accelerating is the source of rattle, assisted by a part that is loose, or contacting the engine. Revving the engine in neutral may also produce the rattle, and make it easier to find the loose component. I recommend an engine rattling inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. I sometimes hear a rattling noise when shifting into second gear. 2013 Toyota Corolla