Q: I own a 2006 Cayman S. I brought it into the dealer for some concerns - please help me decide what to do

asked by on November 05, 2016

My rear tires are worn out and I have Porsche approved N rated tires on it, but the ones to match the front aren't available anymore so they are saying I need to do all 4 now as to not mix N ratings because the tires are different. thoughts?

I'm leaking out of my Rear main seal a bit which I know can be common, clutch is original and i'm assuming it's a good idea to have them do that while we have the transmission out? price is $1020 for the clutch kit, $70 in seals, $150 in oil and $1450 in labor which is 10 hours at $145/hr.

my front radiators are clogged and the fans behind them have debris in between. they want to remove the front bumper, disassemble the radiators from the fans and clean everything out for $350. Worth it? any draw backs for not doing it?

Thanks!

Hello - tire "speed range ratings" like "N" are for sustained speed at a specified load. If you participate in "track days" or other high-speed driving events, you would be wise to stick with an equivalent "N" rated tire, whether you replace them 2 at a time (both front or both rear), or all 4. For normal street driving, switching to a lower speed rating (i.e. "V") is acceptable if done 2 at a time (both front or both rear). Regarding rear main seal and clutch replacement - yes, that is a good idea to do at the same time given the high labor cost to get to that seal. Check the transmission input seal, clutch slave cylinder and pilot bearing as well while the engine is out. Yes - clogged radiators risk an engine over-heat, and should be cleaned out. Make sure radiator fans are working properly while they are disassembled as well.