Q: I need to remove torsion bar from lower control arm.

asked by on August 16, 2016

I was replacing the lower ball joint and used heat because it was seized into the lower control arm. After getting the ball joint out I noticed the grooves in the control arm where the lower ball joint gets pressed in are basically stripped. I'm trying to take off the lower control arm to replace it but I'm having trouble separating the lower control arm and the torsion bar.

Be very careful messing with the torsion bar. It is under an extreme amount of force. Make sure you have all of the tension removed from the torsion bar by loosening the adjustment bolt. Count the number of turns you loosen it so that you can put it back the way it was. If you are still having problems, a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to complete the control arm repair for you.