Q: I need to recalibrate throttle body

asked by on December 05, 2016

I was told that I need to recalibrate my throttle body since I just put a new bbk 70mm throttle body on it and the engine light came on and i took it to auto zone, the car runs fine but the guy there said I need it recalibrate because it's sucking in too much air and it's not used to it. Can I do the recalibration on my own

Hello. It appears that the only sort of throttle related calibration procedure that can be done may be for the pedal. As the pedal and throttle body work together this could possibly be a solution to the issue. To reset the throttle position, turn the key on and wait for dash warning lights to go out. Then depress the gas slowly until it bottoms out, and then release it slowly. Turn key off and start the car. If this does not help then it may be possible that your vehicle may require a custom tune for your new throttle body in order to turn off the light. I would also verify that the the aftermarket throttle body is emissions compliant and designed to work seamlessly. If it is not, this may be the reason why the check engine light is on.