Q: I keep getting this code preventing me from passing inspection.

So I’m getting this code on my 2000 v6 dodge Dakota magnum. Looked it up and read that it’s my relay for the radiator fan. So I went and bought a relay and still code comes up. Weirdest thing I have an electric fan and a huge clutch fan mounted to the motor. I NEED it smogged but the mechanic I took it to he just suggested we change the whole computer out which would charge me 250-300 for it then to program it another 50-100 then to install it so total 450-500 . Idk whether he's trying to get one over on me.

Thank you,

Tj

When a diagnostic trouble code appears, the code sets to show a fault has been found with a component or along the components circuit. If you only replace the part or parts defined in the code without checking the actual performance of the parts or the electrical circuit, you may not have completely fixed the problem that caused the code to set. There may be a loose or failed connection along the circuit or a problem with the computer itself if the circuit and other components do test ok. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a more detailed inspection of the issue causing your check engine light and offer a more personal diagnosis as well as estimate the proper repair.

3. I keep getting this code preventing me from passing inspection.