Q: Fast idle - 1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL

asked by on September 08, 2016

My car has a very fast idle when you first start it up. It will idle high. But when you tap on the accelerator the idle will slow down for only a minute. Then it'll go back to the fast idle. Do you know how I can fix this?

Throttle Position Sensor Replacement $129.21 - $646.10 Get a Quote
Clean Throttle Body $93.59 - $291.31 Get a Quote
Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. There could be a problem with the throttle cable sticking, causing the high idle. There also could be a problem with the throttle position sensor malfunctioning, causing a high idle. Sometimes a dirty throttle body can cause this problem as well. All of these components should be inspected by a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, who will be able to diagnose the high idle and make a recommendation for repair.