Q: I'm having noises coming from the undercarriage when I drive

Hello. I'm not a mechanic by all means, my step dad knows about damn near everything, but he hasn't drove my truck enough to hear what noise I'm talking about. When I first usually hear the noise when I first start driving it any day is when I back out of the drive way it makes a clunk clunk clunk clunk clunk or maybe a knocking kinda noise, hard to explain how it sounds. I know my rearend needs rebuilt, that is going to be done around tax season since Christmas is coming up. After I back out and put it in drive and press on the gas it sounds like a pull or tug, yanking noise and then starts to make the clunking noise again and doesnt really go away unless it shifts or it just goes away by itself. I don't need new ball joints or u joints and an axle arm thingy just got replaced on the passenger side two weeks ago. It has a little over 200,000 miles on it. We have no idea what it could be. I dont know any other way to explain it unless someone drove it for a whole day and listened to it

A: Hi there. The noise sounds like the transmi...

Hi there. The noise sounds like the transmission has a mechanical low/reverse clutch that is going out. This is determined by the noise going away when shifting or on its own and a ball joint will make a noise but not repetitive like a rotating device. Check the transmission oil level. For now, I recommend changing the transmission oil and filter to help with the situation. If you need further help with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to assist you with the noise that you are hearing.