Q: I just replaced my egr valve and notice while driving for a couple of minutes my Electronic throttle Control light starts flashing

I just replaced my egr valve on a Dodge Charge 2008 3.5L engine and notice while driving for a couple of minutes my Electronic throttle Control light starts flashing, but the engine light is not on. If I turn the car off and back on the light goes away. What can cause the Electronic throttle Control to flash?

A: Hello. There are several components that ca...

Hello. There are several components that can effect the electronic throttle control system. The issue may pertain to the recent work done, or may be a separate issue all together. The system depends on sensor inputs from all over the engine, and any one of them can give a reading that will trigger the throttle control warning light. The best thing to do is have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic codes. The light being on means the computer is trying to tell you something, and having that information can rule out a lot of options. Due to the recent repair, you should also make sure that the new EGR is installed properly. Any lose wiring connections or hoses will absolutely cause intermittent readings and a flashing effect. As the computer is always running tests, and so the light can turn off and on just as quickly. Do some more testing and take it from there.