Q: I just recently had a new transmission put in and now theres alot of play in my shifter and i can easily tap my shifter from drive

i just recently had a new transmission put in and now theres alot of play in my shifter and i can easily tap my shifter from drive to reverse or vise versa

Hello and thanks for your question. On your shifter there is a screw on the base that controls the looseness of the shifter. Remove the carpet around the base of the shifter and you will see the screw. Tighten the screw up and the shifter excessive play should go away and make the shifter more firm. If you cannot tighten up the shifter free play, then the cable bushing on the transmission shifter cable is broken or the shifter cable is loose on the transmission shifter. Check the cable from the shifter lever to the transmission for any free play and see if the bushings are damaged or not. Check the connection of the cable to the transmission to see if it is loose. Tighten up the cable if it is loose, or replace the cable if the bushings are damaged. If you need assistance figuring out why your gear shifter is still loose, then seek out a professional to diagnose the slipping problem and advise you on the best action.

3. I just recently had a new transmission put in and now theres alot of play in my shifter and i can easily tap my shifter from drive