Q: I just changed my oil and everything went well until the test drive. The car started knocking and sputtering bad and smoke idk wha

asked by on March 14, 2018

I just changed my oil and everything went well until the test drive. The car started knocking and sputtering bad and smoke idk what to do about it

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi Andrew. Thanks for sending the question tonight. Changing the oil involves three basic steps, draining the old oil, removing the old oil filter, and installing new filter and oil. In some cases, if the oil filter is not correctly installed, it can cause oil pressure issues, which tends to cause the serious knocking. An oil drain plug left untightened can also cause oil to leak and the same issues. Also, not adding enough oil can cause these problems. What I like to do anytime I complete service and something doesn’t seem right is to retrace my steps, making sure everything was correctly added, installed or that nothing was accidentally removed, like sensor wires, air filters or other items. It might be a good idea to have a professional mechanic come to your location to help you locate what’s wrong before driving the car again, this way serious damage can be avoided.