Q: Engine trouble

Try again lol, my partner has a vauxhall vectra petrol 2000 model 2.2, He ran it out of petrol and oil?? The engine is rattling like crazy after putting a can of fuel in, also put some oil in and when trying to start it the battery blew and smoke appeared 1st off and then just rattles very loudly, seems to be coming from the back and under the engine... doesn't seem to be turning over or make the usual sound when battery is low.. have tried jump and bump starting niether have worked. the lights all work but thats volt not amp hehe Also when you turn the key, you can here a clicking sound coming from the engine before it is turned completely. Could it be the starter motor that was changed year and half ago or is it dead lol please help many thanks :) Jo

A: First thing to do is to get the oil level b...

First thing to do is to get the oil level back up to where it's supposed to be, and keep track of how much it takes to do so. If you have to add more than half the oil change amount to get it back to the correct level, you have probably done damage to the rod bearing and crankshaft bearings, and it's possible the piston rings have had a minor "seizing" event in the cylinders. That would account for higher load then usual on the starter, as well as all the rattling coming out of the engine.

The clicking sound on "start" now is the starter solenoid - either from a weak battery, weak current to the starter, or burned solenoid contacts.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having a certified technician, such as one from Your mechanic, perform both an inspection of your starting issue and engine noise to diagnoses these problems, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. can dispatch a mobile, professional mechanic to your location for this repair.