Q: Electronic throttle control light and dead battery? 08 Dodge Avenger SXT

I had to take my 08 Dodge Avenger SXT to the shop because it was stalling out (even while driving) and the electronic throttle light was coming on. they did an oil and spark plug change and put in a new etc.

I picked it up from the garage and halfway home its started cutting off again and etc light comes on again.

No bad battery light activated throughout these problems. I Had it towed back and now they say a new battery will fix it, but the etc did need to be replaced. Does this sound right?

Hey there. The only way to determine if the battery could be a cause (or part of the cause) of the engine stalling is to test it. Typically, a "load test" (very standard and reliable) would be applied to the battery (check alternator output, too, of course, as that is very easy). It would be unwise, and a waste of money, to replace the battery unless it fails a load test.

Finally, be sure that the results of the load are actually shown to you (trust but verify). The ECT light can illuminate due to other engine faults. So one would hope that they actually tested your old ECT to be sure it was defective. There should have been stored diagnostic trouble codes (at the time of the initial failure and now, too) which would aid in the diagnosis, as well as possible freeze frame data.

If none of that diagnostic information was accessed and recorded on the shop records when they serviced your car, basically the mechanics were likely just guessing on the complete diagnosis (sorry to say). At this point, yes, test the battery. But if tests good, the cause of the stalling will have to be methodically diagnosed.

3. Electronic throttle control light and dead battery? 08 Dodge Avenger SXT