I just bought a new battery, but periodically, my car wou...

Q: I just bought a new battery, but periodically, my car would not start, this was in late winter.

asked by on July 15, 2017

New battery, relatively new starter, but sometimes the vehicle will not start without a jump from emergency battery jumper? Not loosing electricity like a bad alternator, not loosing power after it is started, yet something appears to be draining the batter, or it is not charging fully.

You may be right about some kind of drain, or it could be that the alternator is functioning, but is weak. Either way a charging system test should reveal the problem. A technician can hook an ammeter up to the system and measure the alternator’s capacity and then, with the car and accessories all turned off, check to see if there is any draw. Some of the car’s accessories like the sound system and the security system have a small amount of "parasitic" draw that is normal. But anything over 200 Milliamps is considered excessive and can drain the battery if the car is parked for a couple of days. You can get this checked at your convenience by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your starting problem and let you know what it will take to solve it.