Q: Car shakes and jerks

asked by on March 25, 2016

My car shakes when idling after first starting it up. It also jerking when I go 40 MPH. And it acts like it won't start sometimes. I'm guessing I need a tune up, and I fear my fuel pump might be going out.

Car is shaking or vibrating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there, when you say jerking do you mean a vibration or changing in speed? If the car changes in speed, then you should make sure your fuel pressure is okay. Other Impala owners have reported a shaking at startup and one solution is to let the fuel pump prime itself before starting the engine. To do this, turn the key to the ON position without starting. You should hear the fuel pump whirring slightly towards the rear. Let it build up some pressure in the lines and then you should be okay. A certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, would be able to test your fuel pressure to see how the pump is doing and diagnose any other issues that are causing the car to vibrate.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr